Information for Individuals

What happens when I fill out the notification form?

When you submit your form to Acas we will automatically send an acknowledgement either to you or your representative if you have named one. This is usually sent by email, by post if not. The acknowledgement will provide you with a record of the key details you have given us – your name, the name of the organisation or person you want to make a tribunal claim against and the date of receipt. This means that you don’t need a screenshot of your form or to send in a hard copy form to retain these details because your acknowledgement provides this for you.

Following the acknowledgement you will receive an email containing a telephone number to contact us on. We'll need to check your details, ask some basic questions about your claim and explain the process of Early Conciliation, this usually takes about 10 minutes. When you call us it would be helpful to have the following information to hand:

  • The Acas reference number, beginning with R or MU, which can be found on the acknowledgement email we sent you
  • A payslip or other document containing your staff number and the name of your employer

If you are happy to take part in Early Conciliation, and we think we can help, your claim will be passed to an Acas conciliator. The conciliator will talk through the issues with you, or your representative, and the organisation you're intending to claim against to see if a resolution can be found.

Back to Notifications by Individuals
Important note about details on the notification form

Please make sure that you provide the correct name and address for yourself and for the employer, individual or organisation you are complaining about (i.e. the respondent). You should be able to identify this by looking at the letter that offered you your job, your contract of employment or your payslip. It is important that you tell us the correct name (i.e. the "legal identity" of the respondent) because otherwise it could mean:

  • having to make another notification - which could make you run out of time for making a tribunal claim; or
  • having your tribunal claim rejected - if the name on the notification form does not correspond to the name on the tribunal form if it gets that far, the tribunal can reject your claim.

If you want to make a claim against more than one respondent (employer, individual or organisation) you must complete a separate form for each one even if it is all part of the same matter. Forms that contain more than one respondent will be rejected, causing a delay in your notification.

Back to Notifications by Individuals
How long will the process take?

By default Early Conciliation offers a calendar month in which to try to reach settlement, but this can be longer or shorter depending on how useful it is in the circumstances. Each case is different.

The deadline for presenting a claim to tribunal is extended whilst discussions take place, so you don’t have to worry about preparing your claim, and your employer doesn’t have to worry about defending it in writing. You can both concentrate on resolving your differences. If it becomes apparent that Early Conciliation isn’t going to be able to help, we will draw it to a close and you will be free to pursue your claim to tribunal. You will have at least one calendar month after Early Conciliation in which to do this. Of course if you were already late for making a tribunal claim you will still be late when Early Conciliation is finished – it can’t wind the clock back. We can continue to help after the initial Early Conciliation period if more time is needed, and we will contact both parties again as or when you make a tribunal claim. First we try to help you both resolve your differences without the need for a claim to be made, and then we try to help you avoid the need for a hearing if a claim is made.

Back to Notifications by Individuals
Why should I use the Acas Conciliation Service?
Acas can help you get a clearer idea of the strengths and weaknesses of the case, and if your employer is willing, explore options to settle your differences. If this is possible, you will both avoid the time, expense, risk and stress of going to a tribunal. Settlement terms are agreed by you not imposed on you. This means you both have more control over the outcome, possibly including things tribunals can’t give, like a reference.
Back to Notifications by Individuals
Can someone submit the notification on my behalf?
Only if you’re part of a group of people wanting to make a claim against the same employer about the same issue(s). Otherwise the notification should be made by you. You don’t need a representative but if you have one, you can add their details on the notification form and Acas will then liaise directly with them instead of you.
Back to Notifications by Individuals
How will my employer be involved?
Your Acas conciliator will want to speak to your employer to see if they are interested in trying to resolve things before you make a tribunal claim. Acas conciliators do not take sides or pass judgement. They will encourage both you and your employer to be open and honest about the issues because that’s the best basis for you to attempt to resolve your differences. They will not pass on information you don’t want to be shared. Conciliation is a confidential process so a tribunal can’t take what anyone says in conciliation into account. The conciliator will only discuss things with your employer if you agree.
Back to Notifications by Individuals
What if I’m going through an appeal or grievance process?

Before you do anything else you should consider using your organisation’s appeals or grievance procedure if they have one, or letting it run its course if you’ve already started it (unless this means you would miss your deadline for putting in a tribunal claim). Putting your claim in before giving your organisation the chance to resolve it can reflect badly on your case at tribunal.

Back to Notifications by Individuals
Can I go straight to an Employment Tribunal instead?
There are circumstances where you do not have to make a notification, but Early Conciliation is available to you even so. We think it’s better to give it a try than not. You can read more about exemptions Early Conciliation Explained. Where you have any doubt about whether or not an exemption applies we think it’s better to notify us than not.
Back to Notifications by Individuals
What Acas will do with the information I provide?

Any personal information you provide will be held securely and your personal information will not be sold or traded to third parties.

We believe it is important to evaluate our conciliation service in order to identify any improvements we could make, by surveying users. We would only pass on your information to an independent research organisation therefore, who might invite you to take part in a voluntary survey in connection with your application. Your personal information will still be held securely and will not be sold or traded to any third parties.

Back to Notifications by Individuals